If you arrive by car

:: Topics :: Arrival

View previous topic View next topic Go down

If you arrive by car

Post  Fredrik on July 6th 2009, 18:48

We in LURC will provide an arrival service for you, picking you up at the airport, train station or bus station. To be able to pick you all up we need to know your date of arrival in advance. Please use the arrival form to send us your arrival details and please send them in before the 31st of July for the autumn semester and 31st of December for the spring semester.

If you do not know when you fill out the arrival form which day you will arrive give an approximate date and time and make a comment about it. When you do know or latest two days before send me an email or a SMS text message.

Also I would like you to send me a SMS text message two hours before you arrive or when you pass the town of Skellefteå if you arrive from the south, and when you pass Haparanda if you arrive from Finland.

We will wait for you at Nordkalotten or the university if you will not stay at Nordkalotten.

Driving instructions
The road to take from Stockholm to Luleå is called E4 and on this map you find directions where to exit E4 outside Luleå and how to find the university. Once at the University you should make your way to building C, see map. We will meet you at the entrance C11. StiL sportcenter has a big poster above this entrance.

You can call me if you are lost, my number is +46 72 539 31 55

About driving in Sweden
You must drive with headlights on 24 hours a day.

Follow speed limits, there are speed cameras everywhere. Near zero tolerance for alcohol (in Sweden you can't have a glass of wine or a beer and then drive).

Speed limits (If there is no sign saying anything else.)
Cities: 50 km/h
Country roads: 70 km/h
Major roads: 90 km/h
Highways: 110 km/h

All roads in Sweden are free.

Winter tires are mandatory if the conditions demands it and in Luleå between December and March that's a given.

Take the animal warning signs seriously and be extra careful during dusk and dawn when the animals are on the move.

Read more about driving in Sweden here and here.

About parking where you are going to live
At Nordkalotten parking is included but with most other landlords it is not, you will need to reserve a parking spot. A parking spot cost about 200 SEK/month. There are usually also free parking spaces for visitors where you can have your car for 24 hours.

Links
Arrival form
Map over Luleå for Exchange Students
Swedish road safety - General traffic rules

Last edited by Fredrik on August 7th 2016, 15:36; edited 9 times in total (Reason for editing : added links)
Fredrik

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top